Tuesday 29 January 2019

Towel Re-purpose #2

Today I present my second post on what to do with old towels when the Humane Society doesn't want them.  This post was actually supposed to be last Tuesday (I think I mentioned that already) but was delayed due to ineptitude.  So here at long last is my recycled, reusable Swiffer Wet Jet cover all tested and complete with a tutorial just in case you want to make one for yourself.
Review time first.  It worked pretty well, that's it ha ha.  No, I mopped my kitchen and hallway with it and it came out clean.  I was a bit concerned that the floor would take longer to dry afterwards but it didn't make any difference and dried as quick as ever.  The only real difference is that it's a bit more difficult to push, the towel seems to grab the floor more than the paper covers.  I would advise wetting the towel and ringing it out thoroughly before use and when you're done just sling it in the washing machine.

This is how I made it...

First I made a template.  This is a picture of it so hopefully you can make your own as I have no idea how to make one of those downloadable printables.  Note: my Swiffer is about 5 years old so check that these measurements will fit yours before you start.
I hope you can read the numbers on the photograph.

What you will need:

  • From an old towel cut 1 11"x13" rectangle
  • From quilting weight cotton cut 2 4" squares and press 1/4" seam allowances on 3 sides
  • Cut 2 8" lengths of bias binding.  I made mine from 1 1/2" strips of old bed sheet
  • Cut about 48" of binding for the edge, this doesn't have to be bias.  Mine is also 1 1/2" press it in half, open out then press the edges into the middle.
  • Cut 2 4" pieces of velcro
Step 1
Mark the holes and notches onto 1 side of the towel piece.

Step 2
On the other side position the 4 inch squares behind the cut out areas that the spray will come through they look like eyes) with the right side of the cotton facing the towel.  Pin in place.  Flip the towel over so you can see the marked lines and sew along the edges of the 'eye' holes.

Step 3
Cut out the middle and clip corners and curves.

Step 4
Push the quilting cotton (or old sheet) through the hole to the other side, ease it out nicely and sew around the edge of the square, then sew around the edge of the opening.  Repeat with the other side.
Step 5
Cut out the notches at the top and bottom.  Bind them with bias tape.  I cut them out 1 at a time to reduce towel fluff getting everywhere.
Step 6
Bind the edges.  I do this with tape cut straight as if feels more firm.
Step 7
Separate the Velcro and sew a strip right at the top of each side of one end.  I always do the side with the 'eyes' first.
Step 8
Next you're going to flip the cover over and attach the other sides of the Velcro to the other end of the cover.  They won't go right at the end so it's worth standing your Swiffer on the cover to get your placement right.  It will probably look something like this.
Ta Daaaaa.  That's it.  Use it, turn it over, use it again, sling it in the washing machine, repeat.

If you try this out please let me know how you get on, also how useful you found the tutorial, it's my first so constructive critisism is welcome.

Bye for now
Kirstin



No comments:

Post a Comment