Tuesday 15 January 2019

Capsule Wardrobe #1

This week I have been thinking about capsule wardrobes and as having less clothes fits in with the general clear out and organisation theme it is my topic for today.

After all my tidying and throwing out in the Fall I actually already have a capsule wardrobe, I just don't know if it counts when it consists almost entirely of jeans, t-shirts, hoodies and baggy cardigans.  In order to shake it up a bit and find out how to become more stylish and less of a complete scruff I went to the library and borrowed 'The Capsule Wardrobe, 1,000 outfits from 30 pieces' by Wendy Mak.

It does exactly what it says on the tin really, no explanation needed, she lists 30 garments/accessories and then makes 1,000 outfits with them.  I found it pretty inspiring and although her recommended pieces don't all fit well with my current stay at home mum, billy-no-mates lifestyle, and I need 3 seasonal versions for the Canadian climate I will customise it and give it a go.

You can read about Wendy and her book here.

This is my list of 30 pieces for Spring, I have listed things I own in black and things I need to acquire in pink.  I have also crossed out some of Wendy's items and substituted Kirstin lifestyle friendly ones in their place.

  1. Jeans
  2. Casual trousers - more jeans, cannot visualise life at all without at least 2 pairs
  3. Tailored black trousers - wide grey linen trousers
  4. Tailored stone trousers - grey pencil skirt
  5. Tailored shorts
  6. Casual skirt 1 - linen, A-line
  7. Casual skirt 2 - black and white, gored
  8. Black basic tank - black basic, bingo-wing friendly, t-shirt with sleeves
  9. White basic tank - Breton (cannot wear white, will cover it in ketchup/chocolate/miscellaneous where-did-that-come-from? dirt) basic t-shirt with sleeves, see above
  10. Accent coloured blouse 1
  11. Accent coloured blouse 2
  12. long sleeve top in black
  13. Long sleeve top in colour
  14. Casual day dress
  15. Little black dress - basic t-shirt in colour
  16. Black parka - baggy cardigan, hopefully will not need a parka by May
  17. Trench
  18. Black (or neutral) cardigan - baggy
  19. Black blazer
  20. Stone blazer - another baggy cardigan, that's 3
  21. Casual jacket
  22. Black tote
  23. Tan tote - tan cross body bag
  24. Black clutch - alternative nice going out bag for all the times I go out, hmm
  25. Black knee high boots
  26. Black heels - can I put another baggy cardigan here for now or is that cheating?
  27. Nude wedges
  28. Strappy black heels - I don't need many shoes (and I can't walk in strappy sandals) so I think I'll have another basic t-shirt or accent coloured top here so I don't have to do laundry so often
  29. Dressy sandals
  30. Ballet flats - sneakers
My challenge is to buy or make the 5 essential items shown above in pink by May so I can put this into action and become less boring and more stylish.  I may even try to do the #30Pieces30Days challenge with my lovely new selection of clothes.

If anyone has any style tips for me around this list I would be very grateful, especially any easy jacket or blazer patterns so I can make my own.

Tomorrow, when it is light, I will try to photograph a couple of outfits from the book with things I already own from the list and update accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment