Tuesday 9 April 2019

New Shoots

At last, the snow is all gone and the weather is, if not warm, at least above freezing during the day.  On Sunday temperatures 'soared' to 14 degrees so I got out into the garden for the first time this year to get some work done.

Now I've noticed a lot of people around here have tidied up all the dead leaves and remains of perennials from their flower beds already.  I once heard the all knowing Alan Titchmarsh advise against too much clearing until all risk of frost is gone so I've left most of the debris lying about.  But look what's lurking underneath it...


My daffodils are starting to push through, hope they do better than last year.


I only planted these alchemilla mollis in October last year, I wasn't sure how they'd manage in clay soil and with such cold winter conditions but fingers crossed they will do really well.  I hope so as they are such a gentle, foamy plant and remind me of Mum's garden in the UK.


I know this Hellebore isn't looking exactly spectacular but those purple bits in the middle are new leaves.  Honestly, I've been walking past this for the last week while the snow melted thinking what a shame that they are rotting away but the purple balls weren't rot after all.

So all is looking good except for the nibbled patches on my heucheras and shasta daisies, I suppose the poor rabbits are hungry after a long winter and I should allow them a bit of a treat now it's over but they'd better not get too carried away.

What's growing in your garden right now.
Kirstin

No comments:

Post a Comment